Views: 1 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2024-01-05 Origin: Site
Implementing a preventive maintenance program, including proper installation of V-Belt drives, tensioning procedures and best practices, will increase productivity, reduce downtime and yield the added benefit of improved workplace safety.
The cost of belts is relatively insignificant compared to the cost of production downtime and the labor costs associated with belt failures. In general, in any given production facility, 80% of drive belt-related downtime occurs on 20% of the plant's drives. In other words, 80% of the drives are problem-free. The remaining 20% are the "problem drives" that require constant attention and replacement.
Power transmission products are potentially dangerous. Failure to follow the recommended application information and procedures for product installation and maintenance can result in serious personal injury or death. Ensure that the product selected for any application is recommended for that service. Always follow the V-Belt Manufacturer's recommendations.
Always turn off the power and lock out the drive before performing any maintenance work on the power drive. A label labeled "Danger - Do Not Operate" should be attached.
Always attempt to operate the unit after shutdown to ensure that you have locked the correct switch box, that the switch box is operating properly and that any stored energy is released.
Use belt guards to prevent personnel from accessing drive components. Never test or operate the belt drive without the guard in place.
Always wear gloves to protect against sharp edges and hot surfaces.
Never wear loose or bulky clothing near an unprotected drive as it may become entangled in the drive and cause injury to personnel.
Always be aware of pinch points where hands and fingers can be injured, especially where belts enter pulleys or sprockets.
Always keep the area around the drive free of debris and debris.
Do not reuse damaged pulleys. If they cannot be repaired, replace them.
Always use static dissipative belts in conjunction with industry approved methods to dissipate electrical charges on drives used in hazardous environments.
After the pulleys are properly installed and aligned, you can install the belt. Always move the drive, usually an electric motor mounted on an adjustable base, to reduce the drive center distance and create slack so you can easily slide the belt onto the pulley without force. Never use a tool such as a screwdriver or pry bar to force the belt onto the drive. Doing so can damage the fabric cover or destroy the load-bearing rope inside the belt.
Proper belt tension is critical for maximum belt life and efficiency. Improper belt tension is a major cause of premature belt failure and increased costs. Inadequate belt tension can lead to slippage, overheating, excessive pulley wear, rollover and noise, all of which lead to higher maintenance costs and inefficient power transmission. In addition, over-tensioned belts can lead to premature wear of bearings, shafts and pulleys. The result is more frequent replacement of drive components and costly downtime. Proper tension is the minimum tension at which the belt will not slip or skip teeth under peak conditions.
After installing the belt in the pulley groove and adjusting the center distance to eliminate slack in the belt, further increase the tension until there is only a slight bend in the belt When the drive is running under load, the slack side is evident.
Matching V-belt. When using multi-groove pulleys, make sure all belts are the same brand. Even if only one V-belt is worn or damaged, the set of V-belts must be replaced.
Proper alignment is essential for long belt life. Check belt alignment every time you maintain or replace a belt or remove or install a pulley.
Select the correct V-belt to match the pulley groove
Do not mix belt brands; stick with one manufacturer
Do not mix old and new belts
Replace worn pulleys after 3 belt changes
To check for a loose belt, place your fingertip in the pulley groove. If the pulleys are too hot and you can't comfortably hold them there, the belt may have slipped.
The ideal tension is the minimum tension at which the belt will not slip under peak load.
Over-tensioning will shorten the life of the belt and bearings.
Check the drive regularly. If it slips, re-tension the belt.
If the belt slips, check for adequate tension and/or worn pulleys.
please feel free to contact us if you need them.